General Civil Litigation & Business Disputes
Unfair Business Practices
General Civil Litigation and Business Disputes
- Defended rock musician against claims by crowd members of defamation and assault/battery at concert.
- Handled numerous adversary proceedings in bankruptcy court relating to issues of alleged preference, fraud avoiding discharge and equitable subordination.
- Obtained $5 million writ of attachment on unsecured promissory note by major New York bank against a San Francisco merchandise mart.
- Defended pacemaker manufacturer and two of its new sales representatives against their former employer's claims of covenants not to compete and misappropriation of trade secrets. After summary judgment against former employer eliminating most of the trade secret claims, case was settled for much less than anticipated defense costs.
- California employment counsel for one of the nation's largest bus lines.
- Advised intraocular lens manufacturer on a wide variety of employment issues including non-competes and preservation of trade secrets.
- Obtained significant six-figure settlements for various employees claiming wrongful termination and/or discrimination against Fortune 500 companies.
- Successfully defended multiple suits alleging sexual abuse.
- Defeated unfair competition class action suit by borrowers against one of California's largest lenders.
- Defeated unfair competition class action suit by manufacturers and distributors against building materials supplier.
- Advised medical device manufacturers and wineries on trade practices and related distribution issues.
- Won summary judgment in class action product defects suit in federal court on behalf of window UV filter manufacturer.
- Won significant damages at trial, including a punitive damages award for fraud, for bus purchaser against bus manufacturer and dealer.
- Northern California counsel for world's second largest pacemaker manufacturer. Let defense of over $10 million suit arising from severe industrial accident allegedly resulting from faulty pacemaker. Forced an over $1 million credit as a condition of the approval of the plaintiff's settlement with his employer and obtained summary judgment in favor of the pacemaker manufacturer which ended manufacturer's involvement without any liability.
- Northern California counsel for major boat manufacturer - resolved two separate warranty suits for token settlements.
- Successfully defended prior landowner and secured nuisance settlement in federal CERCLA/RCRA suit.
- Obtained significant settlements of homeowner claims for lead and mold contamination.
- Successfully defended seller against claim of concealment of groundwater contamination and recovered significant legal fees award against buyer as well.
- Jury trial victory against municipality for significant fair market value of property notwithstanding allegedly substantial building contamination.
- Represented bank in two lender liability cases (each with substantial exposure) brought in borrowers' home locales; settled one with no payment by bank and borrower repaying most of loan and the other for only $5,000 shortly before trial.
- Represented major West Coast bank against class action suits for allegedly improper/excessive charges.
- Successfully defended major Midwest bank in class action defense of home loan lending practices.
- Represented national restaurant chain in improper check cashing claim against Colorado bank, obtaining six-figure settlement equalling most of check amount before suit was filed.